This page contains information about theaters and arthouses showing independent and foreign films in and around Houston. Readers connected with us anywhere in the world are welcome to submit and review films which may not be commercially advertised or may have limited regional distribution.
UPCOMING REVIEW | I Am Cuba (Soy Cuba)
Ya Kuba, by Mikhail Kalatozov, 1964
Russian/Spanish, Black and White, 2 hours 21 minutes
"Isn't this a happy picture?
Don't avert your eyes, Look!
I am Cuba
For you I am the casino, the bar, the hotels and brothels
But the hands of these children and old people are also me
I am Cuba"
River Oaks Theatre (713) 524-2175
2009 W Gray, Houston, TX 77019
Greenway 3 Theatre (713) 626-0402
Highway 59 @ Buffalo Speedway, 5 East Greenway Plaza, Houston, TX 77046
Rice Media Center
Rice University Campus
Aurora Picture Show (713) 868-2101
800 Aurora Street, Houston, TX 77009
DesiFilm, Schedule of upcoming Indian films
Houston Film Commission
- Latcho Drom, directed by Tony Gatlif
- Yellow Earth, directed by Chen Kaige
- The Courtesans of Bombay, directed by Ismail Merchant
- The River, directed by Jean Renoir
- Two Daughters, directed by Satyajit Ray
- Chulas Fronteras, directed by Les Blank
- J'ai Ete Au Bal (I Went to the Dance), directed by Les Blank
- Fiddlin' Man (The Life and Times of Bob Wills)
- Clifton Chenier: Kingdom of Zydeco
- High Lonesome, directed by Rachel Liebling
See the editor's film suggestions for excellent films many may have missed and should consider watching on video (capsule reviews will accompany the listed items in a few days).
Film References and Resources:
Indian Movies Index
HOUSTON INSTITUTE FOR CULTURE | www.cultural-crossroads.com